Friday, January 23, 2009

Intuition- Good but a little less would have been better


When Jamie Foxx’s last CD “Unpredictable” dropped in 2005, I waited several months before I even listened to it. I said I would wait until at least 5 people said it was good or decent and then I would listen. I think this was a direct result of the memories had of first CD “Infatuation”. Yeah that’s right Unpredictable was not his first CD, his first one came out in 1994. He was fresh off of In Living Color and not yet a movie star, so it was hard to take him seriously as an R&B artist. To make matters worse, one of my boys would always want me to play the CD (tape back then) in my car. I was a teenager at the time pumping Biggie and Wu-Tang so this request always seemed a little gay but I listened to it anyway. There were a couple of good songs on there but mostly weak songs with terrible production. He didn’t have the heavyweight producers beating down his door back then. Anyway, I gave Unpredictable a listen and really liked it. I thought Foxx and Kanye made a great team and he held his own on the other tracks. So I was definitely anticipating his new CD “Intuition”.

“Just Like Me” sounds like it could have been a leftover from Unpredictable but in a good way. It’s a song that grows on you and it seems like whatever T.I. jumps on instantly becomes hotter these days. I was also feeling “I Don’t Need It”, even though it sounds like a poor man’s “Sexy Back” it still sounds different than the average R&B heard on the radio. As an added bonus I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out whether they were saying the word Bitch in the chorus. I’m getting really tired of hearing LiL Wayne ……wait I’m lying, I’m not tired of hearing LiL Weezy so I enjoyed “Number One” also. I think it had more to do with Just Blaze’s production and less to do with Weezy and Foxx’s faux rap/singing. The next three songs: “Digital Girl”, “Blame it” and “She’s Got Her Own” are all hits. Kanye rips it on Digital girl and Blame it is already a club banger. I hope Ne-Yo is getting paid for Foxx taking his She Got her Own remix because it’s not on Ne-Yo’s weak CD and it probably could have helped. It appears that the second half of the CD is dedicated to slow jams. I wasn’t feeling “I Don’t Know”, “Freaking Me” and “Slow”. The last two sounded like a songs that Silk would have done in the mid 90’s. One of my favorite tracks has to be “Overdose”, almost everyone can relate to the feeling of jonesing too hard for one person and feeling like you're dependent. A good smack in the face and a “what the f**k is wrong with you”, usually cures that feeling….At least for me. Anyway, although I’m not a big fan of The Dream, I do think he is a good producer and definitely blessed Foxx with some hot tracks. I think Jamie Foxx would have been smarter to cut down on some of the tracks, maybe to about 11 or 12 and the CD would have felt like a banger from beginning to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment