Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Super Bowl Ticket for One

Am I the only one who likes watching the Super Bowl by myself? No matter what the scenario I usually find myself irritated for most of the game unless I’m watching it by myself. First, there’s the whole sports bar scene where about 1000 people crowd around 3 or 4 flat screens hanging on the wall. Sometimes the sound is turned up on the TVs but you can barely hear it because it’s being drowned out by people yelling and screaming. Sometimes you’ll get sound until there’s a timeout and then it’s club time and the music is blasting at ear splitting levels. At every sports bar you always see the same characters, like the guy who’s sitting at the bar turning around every two minutes to see what girls (sometimes what guy) is looking at him,then he has to get up several times so every one can see his coogi sweater or new leather jacket that he has on. Not to be out done, you’ll have the woman who’s there either with her boyfriend or with a couple of other girls on the prowl (typically cougars) who will sash shay past your table 100 times so you have no choice but to look at her out of shape butt squeezed into some wack apple bottom jeans. Usually I have a headache by the second quarter from straining to hear my friends over the music or screaming over the music so they can hear me. The sad part is I’m still considering this option for Sunday.

Many people enjoy going to mini house parties to watch the Super Bowl. This option is cool if you either know a bunch of the people there or if some of the people there are knowledgeable about football and you’re able to have some good debates. If you don’t have one of those two things going for you then you’re in trouble. I went to Super Bowl party one year and had somebody’s drunk uncle spitting in my ear for 5 hours about how good the Steelers were in the 70’s he kept saying words like “Kordaback” instead of Quarterback. I don’t know if that was as bad as time when I went to a S.B. party with this girl I was dating. She knew most of the people there and I didn't know anyone. (Big mistake) Of course there was a hating guy at the party who kept saying phrases like “remember that time" to this girl and then looking at me for my reaction. After the 5th time I gave him a serious mean mug only to remember that he was there with 3 dudes and I was only there with that girl. I think we probably had a combined weight of 250 at the time. Not good odds for us. To make matters worse, the girl kept responding “ooooohhhh I remember that”. I remember that was the last time I went out with her dumb ass.

Most of my friends are doing their own thing this year and most of my wife’s friends are wack so I don’t know if I’ll be doing the house party thing this year. I’ll probably just end up watching the game on my couch at home by myself. Actually this could be a great father/son bonding experience. I can explain to my son why daddy is getting mad at the TV even though my favorite team isn’t playing. Then I can also explain what a “point spread” is and what is the “over/under” and how it’s relevant to paying the mortgage this month and keeping the heat on. Yeah that’s what I’ll do, I’d much rather hear him say “daddy, touchdown” then to have someone’s drunk uncle spitting in my ear saying “You got to sack da Kordaback “ all night.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm going to vouch for your wife ... not all of her friends are wack (well, at least not the new ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I meant the new ones too.....just kidding, I'll take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete